(ORAL HYDRATION ELECTROLYTE PRODUCT FOR SCOURING CALVES)
RE-SORB® is an electrolyte-glycine powder that is mixed with water and administered orally to calves to treat dehydration associated with diarrhea (Scours) in calves.
Fluid and electrolyte replacement associated with dehydration from diarrhea (Scours) in calves.
RE-SORB® is approved for:
- The control of dehydration associated with diarrhea (Scours) in calves, including veal calves.
- Use by the livestock owner as an early treatment at the first signs of scouring.
- A follow-up treatment for the dehydrated calf following intravenous fluid therapy.
- RE-SORB rapidly replenishes lost electrolytes and fluids in the scouring calf.
- RE-SORB is isotonic—approximately the same concentration of electrolytes as body fluid—resulting in rapid and efficient absorption.
- Contains glycine and citrate for improved uptake of electrolytes.
- Provides useful follow-up treatment after intravenous fluid therapy.
- Supplied in individual packets for precise dosing, no waste.
- Easy to mix, dissolves rapidly and stays in solution.
- Palatable formula tastes good, avoids stress of tube feeding.
- Oral dosing permits fluid replacement at first signs of scours.
- Contents of one packet (both sides) are added to 2 quarts of water and fed as 2 quarts of solution twice daily for two days (four feedings).
- No refrigeration required, even after solution is prepared.
Mixing Directions: Add the contents of one packet (both sides) to 2 quarts of warm water. Stir until dissolved.
Scouring Calves: Feed 2 quarts of RE-SORB solution made up as directed, twice daily for two days (four feedings). No milk or milk replacer should be fed during this period. For the next four feedings (days three and four), use 1 quart of RE-SORB solution mixed together with 1 quart of milk or milk replacer. Thereafter, feed as normal.
Newly Purchased Calves: Feed 2 quarts of RE-SORB solution made up as directed instead of milk as the first feed upon arrival. For the next scheduled feeding, use 1 quart of RE-SORB solution mixed together with 1 quart of milk or milk replacer. Thereafter, feed as normal.
2.26 oz (64 g) double-sided packets in boxes of 12 and buckets of 72.
- Store at controlled room temperature 15°- 30° C (59°- 86° F).
- RE-SORB should not be used in animals with severe dehydration (down, comatose, or in a state of shock). Such animals need intravenous fluids, since oral therapy in these cases is too slow. A veterinarian should be consulted in such severely scouring calves or in cases requiring antibacterial therapy.
- Antibacterial therapy is often indicated in bacterial scours due to E. coli and/or Salmonella. RE-SORB does not contain antibacterial agents.
- Adequate colostrum intake during the first 12 hours is essential for healthy, vigorous calves.
- RE-SORB is not nutritionally complete if administered by itself for long periods of time. It should not be administered beyond the recommended treatment period without the addition of milk or milk replacer.
Important Safety Information
Use RE-SORB in calves only. Do not use in calves with severe dehydration.